Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, January 3rd at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Thompson Sunday

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm

Thompson has a track rental on Sunday that I'm pretty sure is open to anyone. I gotta call to verify tomorrow. If it is, and the weather is nice I'm gonna head there to test.

Then to Milan on the 14th to run the 9.00 Index race, and to Thompson again on the 28th for the 8.90 Renegade race. Maybe I'll see some folks at one of these three weekends.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 7:24 am

Hope to see you at Thompson on the 28th Don. We're racing at PRP on Friday night and I'm not sure if they're gonna want to tow up to Thompson the following morning or not. If the guys decide not to race at Thompson, I'm coming up to watch.
They're headed out to St. Louis Thursday for the ADRL race on Friday and Saturday.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2010, 5:31 pm

Sounds like a plan Dan. As long as I don't have any more issues prior to then, I will be there for sure. Had a blast last time.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2010, 9:15 pm

Ready to head out in the morning, lil Z has both barrels working now. Gonna woop some Fords up.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 4:31 pm

We had alot of fun Sunday at Thompson, even though I'm still the king of breaking out even when the car doesn't run right....

After much tinkering and head scratching, the concensus is that my torque converter is either messed up, or I'm blowing through it (even on motor alone) and it will be messed up if I continue to do so....

So after a 9.90 @ 138 mph and some serious surging again, I'm swapping converters and putting a TCI Pro-X in the old 9" BTE's spot. Hopefully that'll get me down the track alot better. Will know in two weeks hopefully....and with any luck the 8.90 race will go alot better for me than the last one!
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 6:18 pm

Don, is the surging happening down track or earlier ? Wondering if it's a fuel delivery issue.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 6:41 pm

It's happening in second and third gear mainly. The car is really lazy on the line, 1.38 60's at best with the brake leaving at 4000 rpms. We thought fuel delivery, but don't think that's the case. I redid the carb, it did the same thing. We tried dad's carb, it did the same thing. I have a Magnafuel Prostar 500 pump with -12 from the tank to it, -10 to my fuel log, and a -8 return at the pump to tank. It is set at 28 pounds to the log and 6.5 lbs to the carb. It feels like a good 500hp or more drops off when it surges, but if it lacked that much fuel, you'd think I'd have a really bad lean pop. It hasn't missed a beat yet as far as that goes I don't think.

We put dad's carb on it for the last pass Sunday. Eliminations just finished up and it was dead quit there. Dad, my little brother, Jim Curtis and 3 or 4 others were on the line when I made a solo pass. Dad, Jim, and all the others agreed that it's something either broken inside the converter or I'm blowing through it...it's a 9" BTE that was supposed to be 5500 stall or so in a 565. My 632 may be too much for it and I may be going thru it.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 6:43 pm

The car was lazy on the line like the converter was too tight, but it may have been hurt or something before. I had it in my 468 a few years back and it worked really well in it. I broke a few bellhousing while it was on there, and it's sat in a box for 2 years. Maybe something came unglued inside or I hurt it with this motor....I have no clue.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 6:46 pm

Think you're right and it sounds like the converter. Lot more torque there with almost 70 more cubes. Those 60' times are way outta line.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 6:49 pm

Yeah it's 60'en like it's too tight and not getting into the torque, but it's surging so bad in 2nd and 3rd gear that it feels like you spray 500 hp down track when it comes back to life....I hope a converter change wakes it up. I'm trying to get the part number for the one that dad has...his works pretty well!
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 8:10 pm

when he did his burnout Andamo, the tires hooked up solid after he got some RPM up an the motor just reved up an the tires just sat there till he let off the gas. It acts like the converter blows through or the tranny slipps an grabs again going down the track, its sounds like he pulls it back in 2nd at the 1/8 mile, then it dogs down to about 4000 an pulls on again, very strange. It does it in 1, 2 an 3 gears too, not just 3rd is why we think its the converter, but its real audible down track after he's in 3rd an crusing along.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 7:34 am

That's odd that it's just showing up now unless something has let go recently. Could be the converter has ballooned and causing slippage.
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 8:06 am

Boy thats a tough one Lil Z usually fuel will cause surging but in certain conditions the trans will do it sounds like you,re getting a pressure variance and the converter could have a lot to do with it. My converter was bleeding fluid around the input shaft and felt like the trans was slipping checked the clutches all were good replaced converter no slip.
Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2010, 4:42 pm

Ordered a TCI Pro-X from Rossler today. Should be here in a few days to get ready for some more TNT in two weeks. Then the last 8.90 race before the wedding...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thompson Sunday Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thompson Sunday   Thompson Sunday Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thompson Sunday
Page 1 of 1