Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, January 3rd at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Whats going on with Sunset?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
flatiron44

Whats going on with Sunset? Empty
PostSubject: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2010, 11:47 am

Hello to everyone, I've been away for awhile going thru a Divorce that's getting nastier for me as time goes on. Had to find another place to live and leave my Dart behind. Lvlng up North in a place called Tidioute. What's going on with Sunset I hear it's up for sale please fill me in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2010, 1:19 pm

Very long story, and there are rumors that it may be for sale since Alex is getting up there in age. It's also been rumored that with his brother owning the land next door, and half the land that the track's on, it could never be sold and continue to be a track if anything happened to Alex. Well, his brother passed away last year and the family has it, so know one knows. In my opinion, if you wanna make any more passes there, get down there and do it, because it's only a matter of time....
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2010, 6:05 pm

I hope sunset stays around it is a good track! It needs some work and alot of it but that track has alot of potential!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2010, 6:18 pm

Alex and his brother George, who was the co-owner of the track hadn't spoken in many years. When George passed away, his daughter became the owner of the property her Dad George and Alex owned. She wants nothing to do with the track and wants the place closed. How this will all play out is anyones guess. If anyone was thinking of buying the track, I hope they have a bus load of lawyers to sort thru this mess.
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2010, 8:18 am

Alex and his niece have been talking and the track has been surveyed but like Andamo said there will be some checking to do because the track does have a lot of resistance from the township and Alex,s family all we can do is keep our fingers crossed,I have more fun there than anywhere else it has such a family atmosphere,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2010, 9:28 am

Skip, that's good that the lines of communication between Alex and his niece are open. I wonder why the township is is having resistance ? Possibly from homeowners in the area concerned with the noise ?
You're right, there is a lot of that family fun atmosphere at Sunset. The first time I ever was there was Easter Sunday in 1961. The place was packed and cars were waiting on Charleston Rd. just to get to race. I always liked the Thursday night racing when Alex had it. It was like T&T night before the racers hit the track at Sunset and Drag City for the weekend.
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2010, 8:49 am

Yeah Dan nobody wants sunset to stay open more than me but the township has fought Alex only to loose on the grandfather clause but I don,t know what happens if the deed leaves the Theofolis name. When I moved up here in the early nineties sunset was the first track I raced at and I loved it the crowd was so friendly and Alex was so laid back. It reminded me of summerduck dragstrip in Va. just smalltown racers having fun . The big tracks are nice but the little hometown tracks are always the most friendly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2010, 9:25 am

Maybe someone needs to look into registering Sunset as a historical county site. I see lots of old buildings and barns having that designation. I don't know the particulars behind it, but maybe it's worth a shot.

I know what you mean about the feel of the small tracks. Last year was the first I was ever at Norwalk, and although the pits were nice, the place had a coldness to it. I'll take Magnolia, Sunset or Steel Valley over it anyday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats going on with Sunset?   Whats going on with Sunset? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats going on with Sunset?
Page 1 of 1