Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, January 3rd at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Track Activity

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rocs61vet
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
Rocs61vet

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 8:09 am

Fastest Small Block Natural aspirated, Single 4 Barrel, Door Slammer on the East Coast, will be at at Sunset Drag strip 1 Aug for a Shot the the Track Record !!! and any body else that Wants Some !!!!
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 9:13 am

Mike Sims is a friend of mine and Rocs and has one awesome 04 cavalier with a naturally aspirated smallblock that is capable of 480 eights in the heat and 770 quarter,s he is coming up to our neck of the woods in early aug to run on his schedule that I will follow and try to keep posted you will want to see this he is going to try sunset with two chutes !!!
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 4:16 pm

Anyone know what the quickest et is at Sunset ?
Back to top Go down
GRIFF
Club Member
Club Member

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 5:23 pm

Ive always kind of wondered that myself I seem to remember the name Blacksheer having the record. I believe my dad ran c altered back in the 60s he did mentioned something about a record back then. I dont think they ran the funny cars the entire 1/8th mile though..
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2010, 6:20 pm

Griff, a few years ago Dave Norris Jr. went a 5.34 with his Cuda, but I think you're right about Don Blackshear having the record. Anyone remember the '59 Cadillac Pro Mod he built ? I think it's over in England now.
Back to top Go down
GRIFF
Club Member
Club Member

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 15th 2010, 11:48 pm

I started to search around to see if there was anything about records at Sunset posted I didnt find anything directly related. Inadvertantly I found a list of drag racing deaths. At first I thought it might not be the best thing to be posting after I read through the list I think it is a testament to how important the safety equipment is. There is one person listed that sustained injuries at Sunset and later died and also Dave Dangerfield was listed he had a speed shop in Youngstown and died in Arizona after making a 195 mph pass in 1965.
http://dragstripdeaths.webs.com/196569.htm
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 3:38 am

yes it is blackshear, when he had his alky rail if I remember right it was a 3.84.
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 5:44 am

Griff, I wonder if the death at Sunset was in 1960 or 61. We were there Easter Sunday and the place was packed. The cars were lined up outside on the road and we noticed a chopped 33-34 Ford coupe coming into the pit side. A little later it was up on the line and made a pass. After his run they stopped the racing and the track ambulance went down the track. A little while later the ambulance left the track with it's lights flashing and a tow truck brought the Ford coupe back on the hook. From the story we heard, the car was a original CA car and the tires were dry rotted and when he attempted to make the bend at the end of the track, a tire blew and the car rolled. The next time we were at Sunset we heard the fellow had died from his injuries.
Back to top Go down
Rocs61vet
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
Rocs61vet

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 7:47 am

Wow !!!....thats some Good History guys, 3.84 what year was that ???
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Toot

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 3:04 pm

I don't think Sunset was 1/8 mile back then..
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2010, 9:34 pm

somewhere around the early 1990,s even if the track was short the rail was in the six second quarter mile club...
Back to top Go down

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 1:23 am

At some point in time Sunset was 528'. Not sure when it was or how long it was like that.
Back to top Go down
Rocs61vet
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
Rocs61vet

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2010, 6:40 am

No matter how long the track was 3.84 is flying !!! low 5's is all I can handle on that track in a door car !!! My friend Mike Sims is going to try a 4 second pass with his door car, but He has not seen the track yet !!!lol so we see after a warm up pass !
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Toot

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2010, 7:40 pm

Seel Valley record is 4.80
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2010, 7:42 am

I am going to mention Steel valley to Mike he might go there to !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Track Activity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Track Activity   Track Activity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Track Activity
Page 1 of 1