Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, January 3rd at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Mr. Z's next motor???

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Little Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Little Toot

Mr. Z's next motor??? Empty
PostSubject: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 26th 2010, 7:55 pm

Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2010, 8:01 am

Lil Toot I need that in my tractor only thing is I think it is bigger than the tractor LOL
Back to top Go down
Little Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Little Toot

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2010, 4:08 pm

Lol...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2010, 6:50 pm

I'm on dial up an still waiting for the video to load.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2010, 3:29 pm

Hey Mr Z and little Z are you guys going to that renegade party on janurary 22nd? They are having a member count thing on yellowbullet to see how many people are going and soon as there done with that they are going to determine the place and time!
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2010, 5:48 pm

not sure right now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2010, 8:46 pm

Mr Z wrote:
not sure right now

I'm probably not going. Too many wanna be's there for me. I'll show up in May and see everyone at the track.
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Toot

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 10:17 am

Little Z28 wrote:
Too many wanna be's there for me.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 11:54 am

Hey guys can i get your opinions on what this motor combination should run? 340 bored 60 over wich comes out to 349 cubic inches. the heads have been ported and flowed with new valves and springs ect. It has 16 to 1 compression ratio. Brand new custom grind cam 587/594 lift. New harland sharp rockers. Holley strip denominator intake with a intake spacer and 1050 carburetor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 12:00 pm

Brock, what are you planning using that motor in ? Type and weight of the car will determine what it might run. Why so much compression ? Sure can't run 93 in that motor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 12:00 pm

How many rpms?
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 12:19 pm

yeah we are running c16 in it yeah lots of compression lol. the car is a 1963 plymouth valaint and it was 2650 with out driver! We will be shifting between 6800 and 7000
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 12:19 pm

valiant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 12:35 pm

Let's put it this way, what are you hoping to get out of it in 1/4 times ? Have you used that carb in the past ?
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 1:01 pm

10.50's in the quarter mile would be nice! we have an old 750 carb on now to start it and move it around but we have the intake! we still have to get the new carb and intake spacer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 1:16 pm

Well those were the numbers I was thinking also, maybe 70's actually. I just wanted to see if you were going to say low 9's......and then not be disappointed when folks said ''Brock, lay down the crack pipe boy !" Just pulling your leg man and I think mid to 10.70's are there. If you can pare down some of the weight on the car, that'll help also. That's like free horsepower. That old rule of thumb is a good one for every 100# of weight lost, the et lowers .1

I really think the 1050 is a bit much for 349 cubes. There are Comp motors out there that use a big carb, but they run in the 10,000 and higher range.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 1:39 pm

the reason why i said 1050 is because we were orginally going to run two 650's on a tunnel ram and thats what the heads are set up for! But we only have 4 thousands clearence between the head and the piston thats why we have so much compression! so we had to double gasket the heads and they ended up sitting different and the tunnel ram didnt sit right. So we got are old edelbrock turker out and it went right on perfect!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 2:11 pm

The intake might have went on all right, but are you sure there isn't any mis-alignment with the intake an head ports ?
Also, hope you're not running aluminum rods are you ?
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 2:14 pm

340 steel rods and you could be right with the intake we did have that tunnel ram ported to match the heads or atleast it was supposted too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 3:05 pm

I suspect that with 16:1 you're going to do damage before the motor has many miles on it. With clearances like that you're going to hit the heads with pistons, I guarantee it. I would say that it may run 10.70's to 11.00's like Dan, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't. Tire diameter, rear gear, transmission, torque convert and other factors play into ET alot more than horsepower. I remember when we built our first motors and was thinking they were just the shit and being dissapointed when the numbers showed up on the boards at the end of the track. Build it, see what it runs, and improve from there. There's no one that can tell you what that motor will run because no one knows it but you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 3:33 pm

Brock, gotta agree with Don's thinking too. That compression ratio is going to be the death of that motor. We run in that range too but with C25 or the Q16 with aluminun rods. Granted we have to replace the rods every 25 burnouts, but at least there is some ''give'' with a aluminum rod and it's able to handle the hammering. With steel rods, that force is sent to the bearings and crank.
Did that 16:1 ratio happen by accident or is that what you were shooting for ?
Like Don said, once that motor gets hot, you'll have expansion going on and the rate of expansion between all the disimilar metals won't be equal. I think you guys need to re-think that compression ratio and move down into a manageable range.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 3:37 pm

We're at 14.9:1 on our motors and they're as tight as I'd go on anything that wasn't rebuilt every few passes.
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 4:02 pm

yes the compression ratio happened on an accident so what would we need to do to help make the motor last? try keeeping cool so it doesnt get hot or something?
Back to top Go down
Brock Spangler

Brock Spangler

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 4:25 pm

If we have to we can tare it all apart again and change some things. the only thing i want is to get a season out of it and for the motor to perform well!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitimeDecember 31st 2010, 4:49 pm

Nothing is more frustrating than scattering parts on the drag strip surface and having to re-build and not race the following weekend. Be conservative in your building and approach. Depending on what you want to do, bracket racing or heads-up full-bore stuff makes a big difference. Plus, how deep are your pockets ? This sport will eat you up and you'll question your sanity. It might be a lot of fun to say you went X amount of ET to your friends, but the pistons, block and crank are paperweights now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Z's next motor???   Mr. Z's next motor??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr. Z's next motor???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next