Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quarter Eights Drag Racing Club

Dragracing friends that became a club. Established 12/08/09 Over 70 Members

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Club will meet at 6:30 Thursday, January 3rd at the Truck World off Rt.62 and I80.

Quaker City

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NDA Racer

NDA Racer

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 12:00 am

They just said on the news it will be up for auction again on October 19th.

Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 8:04 am

Wonder if QCD will sell before Sunset ?
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 10:00 am

The last auction at Quaker was a fiasco and I'll bet this one won't be any different. What happened to the deal with the town of Salem incorporating it and having it run by the Swindler ? Word was at the original auction there were 2 bidders that had certified funds to buy the place, but they were both turned down. I have to believe it's just a ploy on his part to keep the creditors at bay. He still owes Vivian Mossey a bunch of money from the original purchase back in 1999 ! The car counts are down and will probably be worse next season with him still in charge.

Last edited by Andamo on September 17th 2010, 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NDA Racer

NDA Racer

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 4:41 pm

Their attempt to annex the property failed.

They're talking about selling parcels again if it doesn't sell as a whole.
Back to top Go down
NDA Racer

NDA Racer

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 6:20 pm

Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 17th 2010, 8:38 pm

I don't think the track will sell.... I like the track, but I don't know who would want sections of the track...
"Yeah, I own the first 30 feet of the actual track... Yeah I use it but if I want to check my 60' times I get arrested with felony trespassing...." LOL
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2010, 8:15 am

The sad thing is no matter how good or bad it is run if they sell and the track closes chances are it will be lost forever and with this economy the sport is already suffering. The only place to go and pound your,e car legally is a dragstrip and we,re losing them faster than new ones are being built with all the liabilities and red tape no one wants to run dragstrips now it is sad. Drag racing is one of the only sports some one can participate in at any level of talent or money and it is done as safe as possible not like the street! I hate to see strips close no matter what the reason!!!
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2010, 8:53 am

I understand the fellow who runs Steel Valley, Keith Eckmeyer, was interested in buying Quaker City when Swindell was trying to get the town of Salem involved. Maybe now might be his chance.
You're right Skip, having the place close would be a real blow to racing in the Tri-State area. I've heard some of the insurance cost figures a track has to pay on a weekly basis and it's staggering. Then add the utility costs, taxes and employee costs......it's not a decision to be made lightly.
I think Swindell has finally figured out he better get out now and have his lawyers deal with the creditors.
Back to top Go down
Toot
Club Member
Club Member
Toot

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2010, 9:01 am

You Should have seen him at Steel Valley last week when I told him Alex had Sunset surveyed and was going to sellout.
Back to top Go down
Zuluzahn
Club Member
Club Member
Zuluzahn

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 7th 2010, 10:58 pm

The thing that happened with Quaker the last time it was bid was a financial issue with Swindell's books. Tim Rossi and another gentleman had the backing and the funds to purchase, but not all of the books were open for the banks to see. Based on that, the banks pulled out and it was left to Swindell. In my opinion there had to be something that wasn't to be known for some reason. Given the years that have gone by, maybe it was enough time to straighten out what was wrong in the books and now he can open them without cutting his throat. That is what I know, due to Quaker has been my home registery since 94'. I've been there for a long time and the rumor is pretty solid.

Zulu
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2010, 6:12 am

Being that's it's a absolute auction, the place will sell this time. But whether it'll stay a drag strip is anyones guess. Being that there is so much land for sale anymore, I really can't see a developer buying the place with the BFI landfill being so close. I also don't see the area becoming a mall since the majority of them now have too many empty stores within the malls.
I had heard that also about his books being in shambles and anyone buying the place was taking a big chance. I think you can only keep the wolves away from your doors so long before something has to be done. Plus, he and his g/f have created so much animosity among racers, promoters and such, maybe he figures he better get out now. I just hope that Vivian gets her money and not a pro-rated amount. She trusted the man and this is how she ends up.
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 4:49 pm

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/649105032/m/662104292/p/67

looks like there will still be racing in 2011!!!
Back to top Go down
NovaStreetmachine

NovaStreetmachine

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 6:41 pm

witnessed one of the most unbelievable auctions, (one of the most backward, weirdest, craziest)... but Quaker City drag strip, Salem Oh; sold for $460+ incidentals... fortunately it went to the son of the original, original owner just to keep the track as a drag strip!

Posted by John Shapiro of Cruisin' Times on Facebook.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/streetmachinezz

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 6:55 pm

I went out to the auction, and you're right. I've never seen a auction go like that. It looks like everyone wanted it to sell as 1 piece.

Don't understand John saying the son of the original owner though. I thought Richard Mossey was the original owner and the fellow who bought the place is Norm Fox from the Minerva area. I understand he owns Fox Autp Salvage.

I left after the track sold, but the small stuff sounded like it was all selling off pretty good. And to think Swindell turned down 1.2 million for the place back in '07. Can't say that I feel sorry for him. Karma is a bitch, isn't it Dan ?
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 7:07 pm

Dan tell us how you really feel about Mr. Swindell, haha. One things for sure, he's proven to be a pretty crappy business man and track owner....
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 7:59 pm

Great news! It sounds like somebody got a good buy...Now I wonder if sunset will sell?
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 8:02 pm

If Quaker sold for as little as it did, Alex better revise his asking price.
Back to top Go down
NDA Racer

NDA Racer

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 11:19 pm

http://www.wfmj.com/global/category.asp?c=179433&clipId=5212068&topVideoCatNo=127770&autoStart=true

A link to the news report on it.

It'll prolly take a couple years of operation, before I believe Dan is gone from the operations.
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 6:13 am

I hope Norm Fox has a good lawyer. With all the liens and money Swindell owes, the selling price won't cover what he owes the creditors. I hope I'm wrong and Norm didn't buy into a hornets nest.
Back to top Go down
NDA Racer

NDA Racer

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 9:45 am

Yep, scary deal indeed.

This is on a much smaller scale, but it reminds me of the time a guy took over the old shop I worked at. He wanted to keep the phone # and didn't check into it. Well he inherited the 600+ dollar long distance phone bill my old boss never paid. This guy told the phone company, F-U it's not mine and I'm NOT gonna pay it. Welp, not only did the phone company shut off the biz phone, they shut the one off in his parts store AND home.

I never cared much for him and his tude, so I laughed, I snickered, and I giggled about it, and still do. lol!
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 8:59 pm

I am glad that someone bought Q.C. and will keep it as a racing venue...not that us hobbie racers get to go as often as we like but, gives us more options... weather you like or hate quaker it is still the closet 1/4 mile from sunset!!!
Back to top Go down

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2010, 9:07 pm

B Slow wrote:
I am glad that someone bought Q.C. and will keep it as a racing venue...not that us hobbie racers get to go as often as we like but, gives us more options... weather you like or hate quaker it is still the closet 1/4 mile from sunset!!!

It's the same for us to go to Thompson or Quaker, about 1 hr either way....I'm also glad that someone who seems to want it remaining open bought it. With some work it could be like it once was. Time will tell...
Back to top Go down
amac
King of the Hill
King of the Hill
amac

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitimeOctober 21st 2010, 7:58 am

Yeah not to often a track sells like that and stays open I don,t race there much but I hate to see any track close !!! Hopefully sunset will keep going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quaker City Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quaker City   Quaker City Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quaker City
Page 1 of 1